Fireflies of Eden



As I look down on the years we have lived, it just makes me laugh. Feels like she was just born yesterday, that little ball of flesh they gave me to hold. Wrapped in a white towel like a little ball of cheese. With curly hair and eyes shining bright, I held her thinking, how more beautiful can a child be? Now, I have someone to play, someone to control and most of all someone to look after. And 21 years later, I look at the wonderful years which have passed me by. Those amazing times I have spent with her, enjoying the finest of her love and wrapped in affection for all these years from one of the most loved girl of my life. My little darling sister “For there is no friend like a sister, in calm or stormy weather, to cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands.”

I can still remember how lovely those years were, back in the day when we both needed to go to school, with me in my grey and white uniform and she with her brown and red skirt. Just 4ft tall, she stood by the front of the scooter while we both went in the winding roads of Chennai off to school. With her pigtails and those cute looking spectacles it was one of a sight. Every time while we drove up the bright, the bike didn't have enough power to move both of us, and while I scooped down my feet to push the bike, she used to jump in the front with all the cute noises she could make. And once we reached school, she would give me a nice warm hug, a peck in the cheek and a sweet smile. Those kisses are just as warm as yesterday.


Dad always loved Nivetha more.
Well, maybe I just didn't understand it back then, but when I grew up to be a man, I know exactly why. Dads love their girls, and they do unconditionally. And its that feeling that every girl has, that whoever she gets will treat as much as their dad’s did. Sometimes even when the mistake was clearly her, I would still be the one who would have beaten and scolded by dad. I hated that feeling back then, but now it feels all cute and silly. She always used to tear up my homework books and was usually the culprit in getting me caught back at school. Now when I think, I would give even the best of my books for her to tear, well I love her that much.


It feels like sisters are probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once they grow up, it becomes one of strongest relationships. And I remember we used to fight like crazy and get back together, hate each other for our very existence and even blame the parents for giving me this being from hell. There were times when I walked to walk away from her, but I guess time changes everything, and now I look upon a most beautiful relationship between two being humans. The sibling love is very special. Over the years, she becomes your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She turns into your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she's the very reason you wish you were just a child. It’s that beautiful.


A sister captures your heart like no other. Especially when you have raised her as your own. The love you feel is as though she were your own child. Has solace anywhere been more comforting than that in the arms of a sister?

She has grown up to be a very beautiful women of her own. I saw her grow up from the time she was born, to that little ball of fun they gave me to this beautiful maiden I see now. All her life she has showered all her love and affection on me, she taught me everything I really needed to know even when she was so young and I will always be proud of being her brother.

Sometimes the best and worst times of your life can coincide. It is a talent of the soul to discover the joy in pain—-thinking of moments you long for, and knowing you’ll never have them again. The beautiful ghosts of our past haunt us and yet we still can’t decide if the pain they caused us outweighs the tender moments when they touched our soul. This is the irony of love. I love you a lot Nive and will always be happy for you. I will miss you dearly. I just have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright.


I look at the wonderful years which have passed me by. Those amazing times I have spent with her, enjoying the finest of her love and wrapped in affection for all these years from one of the most loved girl of my life. My little darling sister “For there is no friend like a sister, in calm or stormy weather, to cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands.”

Comments

Unknown said…
Time flew by, and I've come to understand that's Life, for those beautiful moments can be cherished only when it happens once in a Lifetime. Thank you Anna for taking the time to revisit those magical memories, you'd taken me with you, as I remember the days when nursing an abandoned baby squirrel to pristine health was the sole purpose of our existence :) I love you unconditionally Anna, from the very moment you held me in your arms your own little ball of cheese, I was looking up at the curly haired boy I'd look up-to, love, cherish, cuddle and share a crazy special bond with all my Life.
Love - Nive
Unknown said…
Time flew by, and I've come to understand that's Life, for those beautiful moments can be cherished only when it happens once in a Lifetime. Thank you Anna for taking the time to revisit those magical memories, you'd taken me with you, as I remember the days when nursing an abandoned baby squirrel to pristine health was the sole purpose of our existence :) I love you unconditionally Anna, from the very moment you held me in your arms your own little ball of cheese, I was looking up at the curly haired boy I'd look up-to, love, cuddle, cherish and share a crazy special bond with all my Life.
Love-Nive

Popular Posts